Medicare Supplement Plan N is one of the 10 standardized Medigap plans. Since Medicare Plan N is standardized, it will cover the same benefits regardless of the insurance carrier that offers Plan N. The plan is frequently selected for its lower premium but will not offer as much coverage as something like the Medicare Supplement Plan G which has a higher premium.
What Does Medicare Supplement Plan N Cover?
Medicare Supplement Plan N covers five basic areas of care needs. This includes:
- Covering the cost of hospitalization: The policy pays for any coinsurance costs related to hospital stays. It also provides up to 365 days of additional coverage for hospital care after benefits from Original Medicare Plan A end. It also pays the deductible as it relates to Medicare Part A coverage for hospital stays.
- Coverage for medical expenses: Plan N also covers coinsurance payments from Part B coverage. This may include copays for a visit to an emergency room or an office visit. It also covers 20% of Medicare-approved expenses for hospital outpatient care. This includes covering copayments for those services.
- Hospice care coverage: Plan N also provides coverage for any coinsurance needed after Plan A benefits are exhausted.
- Blood transfusion costs: It pays for the first three pints of blood a person needs each year. After those first three, Original Medicare covers the cost.
- Skilled nursing care: Plan N also pays for care in a skilled nursing facility.
Are There Exclusions for Medicare Supplement Plan N?
Yes, there are some limitations to this policy. It does not pay for:
- Medicare Part B deductibles
- Medicare Part B care excess charges (charges that are over and above what the Medicare-approved amount is, charged by a health care provider)
- Copays for doctor’s office visits
- Coinsurance related to doctor’s office care or emergency room visits
It’s important to understand each of these details as Medicare coverage can be complex. Plan N is a very popular option because of the extensiveness of this coverage. Still, it’s important to speak with your provider for clarification on any type of charge you may have.
How Much Does Medicare Supplement Plan N Cost?
As a standardized health care plan, costs are about the same from one provider to the next.
- For the 2022 year, these costs range between $120 and $180 per month. Your location may play a role in the costs you pay.
- Some areas may see costs rise to over $250 due to the cost of living in those areas.
- Other factors include your state, whether you use tobacco products, your age, and your gender.
These premiums are typically significantly lower than what you may pay for care without Medicare coverage. If you have Original Medicare, having this supplement plan or another may cover many of the extras you would have to pay out of your insurance.
What About Copays for Medicare Plan N?
Medicare Supplement Plan N copays are applicable in some situations:
- You will pay a copay of about $50 for a visit to the emergency room. If your emergency room visits lead to an inpatient hospital stay, you do not have to pay this cost.
- You also pay a $20 copay when you visit your doctor’s office for preventative healthcare and other needs.
- You do not need to pay a copay if you need to visit an urgent care center, which is not an emergency room.
Here’s why this helps you. If you need medical care that is not life threatening, you may call your doctor first. That’s still the best way to get care that’s personalized for you. But if you cannot get in for an appointment, you can visit an urgent care center for treatment. In this case, you do not have to pay a copay for the care.
When Can I Enroll in Medicare Plan N?
To enroll in this or another Medicare supplement plan, you’ll need to enroll during the Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period. This is the period of six months that follows your 65th birthday. During this time, you do not have to have any underwriting completed to enroll, which means you do not have to answer any health questions.
If you did not enroll during that period but want to enroll in a supplement plan, you can do so by going through the underwriting process. You will need to answer health questions at that point. As a result, the carrier that you apply for coverage through may decline your policy if they have significant concerns about your health.
Have Questions? Here Are a Few Answers
- How do I find a Medicare Plan N carrier? If you hope to enroll in a supplement plan, you can find them readily available through most larger carriers. This is a common plan.
- Does Medicare Supplement Plan N cover dental or vision care? No Medigap policy covers dental or vision care. You can purchase a separate plan to cover these needs.